Boys at the beach

Boys at the beach

Saturday, April 7, 2012

End of Lent Daybook

Outside my window...
It is dusk, gray, quiet.  

I am thankful for...
God's providence.  Every time we start to get anxious, and stop ourselves and remember to have faith, he takes care of just what we were going to worry about.

I am thinking about...
My ninety-three year old grandmother.  She was recently in the hospital.  I hope we can visit her one of these days, she met Bluejay when he was just a little thing, but she has not yet gotten to meet her great-granddaughter.


Learning all the time...
Bluejay is learning to use the potty.  It is big work.  I'm so proud of him, and thankful for my husband for leading the charge on this one.

From the kitchen... 
I think my new go-to Lenten meal is breakfast for dinner.  Tonight I made potatoes with onions, sauteed mushrooms, and I put a few halved tomatoes in the pan as well, English breakfast style.  I finished it off with homemade biscuits and jam.  Drop biscuits are really easy to make and everyone loves them, I don't know why I don't make them more often.



I am creating...
This blog.  This is my creative work for the most part right now.  Well, that and entertaining two toddlers, because, we really do have two, full-on toddlers now.  Chickadee started walking during our trip to New Hampshire, and she is going full-steam ahead now, to use one of Bluejay's favorite phrases. 

I am working on...
Converting our church directory to a new software program.  It's mostly busy-work at the moment, entering the data from the old program into the new and revising errors, but I'm really enjoying this project.

I am going...
To the optometrist tomorrow.  I've suddenly started having trouble with my contacts, after almost 25 years of wearing them. It turns out my eyes developed a sensitivity to the lenses, so I'm wearing various trial pairs right now trying to find a type that will work better for me. The best solution would be laser eye surgery, and they finally have equipment sensitive enough to repair my extreme nearsightedness [ bad genes and way too much reading :-) ], but, I cannot have surgery while nursing and I wouldn't even consider weaning Chickadee before she is at least two, and seems to be interested in weaning herself. So, for now, it's trial and error with the contacts.

I am hoping...
To do more activities with little Bluejay starting after Pascha.  He is such a curious little guy, and very committed to whatever project we take on, I know he is so ready to do more.  And his little sister is not far behind, that girl surprises me constantly with what she knows already and what she tries to imitate.

I am reading...
I never ever ever used to have multiple books going at once, I was adamantly against it, but now, for some reason, I do.  I just picked up a Jeffrey Archer book (Only Time Will Tell) during my birthday alone-time I spent at a local bookstore (it was GLORIOUS!  The alone time, not the book, I'm only a few chapters in so far.) I'm also reading The Way of the Pilgrim, finally.  I've been meaning to read that one for years.  I'm still about halfway through both Man of God: Saint John of Shanghai and San Francisco and the Elder Thaddeus book Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, which is absolutely wonderful.  And I picked up Madeleine L'Engle's Crosswick Journals (A Circle of Quiet) while visiting my sister-in-law, and want to get my own copy so I can finish them.  I love Madeleine L'Engle.

I am praying for...
My brother on deployment.  My sister-in-law and brother who are expecting their first baby.
  
I am hearing...
U2 in the garage, the babies are playing with playdough and hanging out with daddy.

One of my favorite things...
Being out in the air after a dip in the hottub.  At night.  After the children have gone to sleep.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Lazarus Saturday (Aaron's baptism anniversary), Palm Sunday, then we have finally reached Holy Week.  Aaron's new job (new career!) starting on Monday.  Being with my children.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...
That's right. Those are my feet. And they're up! For a full five minutes I put my feet up the other day, for no reason at all, unplanned, and without making sure everyone was "taken care of" first.
















































4 comments:

  1. Love your pic! With two toddlers you deserve to spend a few minutes with your feet up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you will have a blog -- I know I will enjoy hearing about your books, kids, kitchen and everything. A blessed Holy Week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feet up with super cute shoes. Or are they slippers? I love the picture of you all at the table. It looks so calm and organized and happy. I forgot to call you on your birthday.

    Have A. call us and tell us how yesterday went! Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and read the link I posted rather awkwardly on my blog. You. Will. Love. It.

    ReplyDelete