Boys at the beach

Boys at the beach

Thursday, June 28, 2012

June Daybook

Outside my window...  It is very warm.  And it is going to get hotter.  It's supposed to be 99°F tomorrow and 100°F on Saturday.  Ay yi yi.  I do not like it this hot.  We can keep the house cool by shutting all the shades and windows in the morning, but by 4:00 p.m. even that coolness is lost. Thank goodness for cool California evenings.  


I am wearing... a navy blue skirt and a cobalt blue shirt.  I feel like the water colors are helping me to be cooler.  This year I've decided I really just don't like shorts, and it is way too hot and uncomfortable for pants.  So, I have adopted skirts for my new play clothes / housework clothes / just about everything clothes.  And if there's one thing you can find in decent condition and not too weird fitting at a thrift store, it is skirts! 


I am thankful for... my husband and his new job.  It has really changed our life.  He works so hard, and yet is so cheery and helpful most of the time.  I really appreciate him.


I am thinking about... my son.  He is such a good boy.  I am making an effort to pay more attention to him, to always talk to him kindly, and to make sure he feels comfortable, relaxed and loved all of the time.


Learning all the time... we are not school age yet, so our learning is that which comes naturally with growing up.  Bluejay is very interested in numbers and counting.  His favorite numbers so far are fourteen and eleventeen.  Chickadee is so very verbal for her 15 months. It continually takes me by surprise when she says things and communicates so much by speaking. We did teach her a few signs, but she has moved on to words so quickly, it's keeping me on my toes. I have to pay careful attention to what she is talking about.  Aaron is very good at it. He just pointed out to me that she is now saying her big brother's name. In a very adorable, shortened way.


From the kitchen... hmmm, I've been a little challenged in regards to the kitchen.  We have gone out for hamburgers a bit too often lately.  Since the fast started, I did make a very yummy nicoise type salad, although I took a few liberties based on what was actually in my pantry and fridge.  I put in canned cannellini beans and Chickadee devoured them. 


I am creating... plans for creating things.  My brother's mother-in-law (got that?) made a beautiful raggedy quilt for Chickadee when she was born out of various gorgeous flannel prints.  Ever since then I've been wanting to make one, so I talked her in to teaching me.  She sent me some guidelines for figuring out my fabric needs.  However, I am an under-rested mom of two generally cosleeping toddlers and I was never any good at arithmetic in the first place.  So, I figured out how much fabric I needed in length only.  I did not take into account the width of a yard.  I was a bit shocked when I watched the woman at Joann's cut the fabric.  But because I am a chicken, I did not say "Stop!  Let me rethink this".  No, I bought a very expensive bundle of pretty flannel and then brought it home and agonized over it, since we do not have the budget for expensive projects right now.  After my kindly husband laughed at me and assured me that I could return it, even though they cut it for me, I called Joann's and they said that indeed they could, if I hadn't washed, cut or done anything to it.  So I returned the whole batch.  I'm still going to make the quilt.  But I need to take a deep breath and CALM DOWN first. :-)


I am working on... taking deep breathes and calming down! And also helping Bluejay to do that too.  I think he inherited my "swing first and think later" gene.  Sheesh.  


I am going... Nowhere!  We've decided that there will be no more plans for a while, we're going to stay put and just go slow with everything for a little while.


I am hoping... To get a little time to just cuddle my new nephew, hereafter known as the Wood Duckling, when he is down here for his baptism this coming weekend.


I am reading... O Pioneers! and really enjoying it. It is refreshing to read a novel that is really good.  I hope it stays that way.  I've never been disappointed in Willa Cather before.


I am praying for... Little Samuel, born at 26 weeks; my friend Alan who has late stage brain cancer (I am feeling very in denial over this), my little nephew soon to be baptized, and my brother in Afghanistan.


I am hearing... Thomas the Tank Engine theme music, and Chickadee saying "Tractor! Tractor!" 


One of my favorite things... Handwork projects in process


A few plans for the rest of the week... The Wood Duckling's baptism!  Some time with my family.


Here are a few picture thoughts I am sharing with you: (Please note, sometimes I use my pictures, and sometimes I use my husband's much more amazing photographs.  You'll just have to guess which are which).













3 comments:

  1. I loved this book, and read it around the same time I was reading a book about the importance of place. (Don't read what I wrote if you haven't finished it yet, there's a spoiler in my post.) I should probably pick up more of Willa Cather's work once of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finish it and really enjoyed the entire thing. I have read Death Comes for the Archbishop as well, which I loved, largely for the beauty of it's description of New Mexico. I think it's time to add My Antonia to my reading list. Thanks for showing me your review of the book! I really enjoyed the rest of your post too.

      Delete
  2. Chickadee looks like an antique doll, hovering above the carpet.

    ReplyDelete